report accident dmv

Accidents happen, and when they do, the last thing you want to be dealing with is insurance and DMV paperwork. Whether it's a fender-bender or something more serious, accidents are typically reported to your local DMV location. And while it may seem like an inconvenience and a hassle at first, doing so will allow you to minimize your risk of being held responsible for more than you should be. 

If you're unsure about anything related to the accident, like who was at fault or whether you can claim damages for the injuries you sustained, we are here to advise you on the best course of action. For a free consultation with one of our New York City car accident lawyers, call us today at 212-344-1000 or contact us online.

If you don't know whether or not you should file a report with the DMV in New York, consult an injury attorney at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP. We're one of the oldest and most distinguished personal injury law firms in New York. Our auto accident attorneys are familiar with the DMV laws in New York and we can tell you what kind of information you need to include in your report. 

New York State DMV Reporting Requirements

In New York State, if you are involved in an accident causing damage to property or another person's body in an amount exceeding $1,000, you must file a report within 10 days. The NYS DMV is the state government agency that oversees the issuance of driver's licenses and vehicle registrations for all New York State. To notify the DMV after a car accident, you must fill out an MV-104 form.

If a crash causes less than $1,000 in property damage, the parties involved only have to exchange information and file with their insurance providers. If the accident involves a parked car, the owner has to be informed of the damage or else it has to be reported to the police.

How to Get the Accident Report from the Police?

  • Step 1: Go to the police station where the accident took place. You can find a list of all the precincts in New York City on the NYPD website. If you're not sure where the precinct is located, search for "X Precinct" on Google and add your location, and you'll get the information in seconds.
  • Step 2: Talk to an officer. Tell them you would like a copy of your accident report and provide them with your full name, date and place of birth, driver's license number and insurance provider's name (if applicable). You must also have your valid driver's license or photo ID.
  • Step 3: Pay the fee. There is a $10 fee for searching the copy and $15 for obtaining the report.

The New York DMV also offers online services that allow you to obtain accident reports from the police for a search fee of $7 and an additional $15 for getting the report. To locate your report using the date and county where the accident occurred, use List Reports on File by Date. You will see a list of vehicles involved in accidents in that county on that day. This can be a free limited search.

Filing the Accident Report 

The New York State Motor Vehicle Accident Report is a legal document used to file an insurance claim. The report serves as proof of the accident, and it helps insurance companies determine fault. When filing your accident report, the following factors should be included:

  • Elements of the Accident
  • Exact Location
  • Itemize Damages
  • License numbers of all parties involved in the accident
  • Any witnesses to the accident
  • Name, address, and phone number of injured parties
  • Name, address, and phone number of owner/driver of any vehicle involved in the accident

Elements of a Police Report

After a car accident, you may be involved in a police report. It helps determine what happened during the accident and who should have been held accountable for the accident. It includes crucial information like:

  • The events leading up to the accident. This can include weather conditions, road conditions and visibility. 
  • The damage that occurred during the crash. This can include injuries sustained by passengers, pictures of the damage done to vehicles and property damage done on-site of the collision. 
  • The statements given by those involved in the crash. This can include driver statements, passenger statements and witness statements.
  • Copies of all documents such as medical bills or repair estimates that were submitted during your claim process may also be included, 
  • How long it took for emergency services to arrive at the scene of the accident.
  • Details about citations issued to drivers.
  • Any other relevant detail of the accident.

The DMV Accident Re-examination Program

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has a program for re-examining drivers involved in accidents and are unsafe to drive. This law applies to you if:

  • You have been involved in three or more accidents in the last eighteen months that were reported to the DMV.
  • You have one accident report on file with the DMV, and your license was suspended, revoked, or you had a conditional or restricted license within the last three years.
  • You are charged with a moving violation related to an accident.
  • A judge orders that you take an accident prevention course.

Steps To Take After a Car Accident in New York City

When you get into a car accident, you're likely to be shaken and upset. Here's what you should do immediately after the accident:

  • Call the police. If there was significant damage to your vehicle or anyone else's, or if anyone was injured, you need to call the police immediately. Many insurance companies will require police reports before they will process claims.
  • If you're injured, seek medical help immediately. Even if you think you have no injuries sustained, a significant car collision can cause damages to your body that can appear after a few days of the accident. Seeking immediate medical attention would avoid problems with the insurance company.
  • Report the accident to your own auto insurance company right away. Even if the other person seems like they'll take care of everything themselves, contact your own insurer, so they don't cancel your policy or raise your rates because you didn't report it immediately after the accident. However, speak with your injury attorney before speaking with the insurance company. 
  • Take photos of the damage to both vehicles and any property damage that resulted from the accident, such as broken streetlights or damaged stop signs. Also, take pictures of the skid marks left behind by both cars, as this can help prove who caused the accident.
  • Exchange information with everyone involved, including their insurance companies, driver's license numbers, and contact information. You may also want to exchange your insurance information with them.
  • Once the police investigate the accident scene and file the accident report, obtain the report and file the accident with the DMV.
  • Next, consult an injury attorney. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help guide you through the process and advocate for you during negotiations.

How our Personal Injury Attorneys will Investigate Your Accident?

A thorough medical evaluation and diagnosis may be covered by the insurance company after an auto accident. Based on this, the complete costs of such evaluation and any subsequent treatment are not always covered by the other party's insurance company. This is where our competent attorneys can help. We can help you obtain payment from your own insurance company for this portion of the bill. If there is inadequate coverage from your policy, our attorneys can negotiate on your behalf to get coverage from the at-fault driver's insurance company.

Our accident lawyers will work hard to help ensure that your injuries are taken care of properly and that you can receive the maximum compensation for all the damages and losses sustained. Our legal team has extensive experience in handling car accident injury cases, and we know how to negotiate with the negligent parties and their insurers to obtain maximum compensation for our clients.

Schedule a Free Evaluation with Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP

In the event of an auto accident, you will have to file a report and have it recorded by the DMV in New York. This is required by law. You may have heard that you do not need to file a report if no police are called to the scene if you have no injuries or damages. While this may be true in some cases, chances are you will still be required to fill out an accident report. Our attorneys at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP can assist you in this process to ensure your right to compensation is fully protected.

After an auto or motorcycle accident, there are a lot of issues to deal with, from doctor appointments and paperwork to insurance claims and legal filings. Our attorneys will ensure that you don't have to face these things alone. We'll negotiate on your behalf with insurance companies so that you get the best outcome for your personal injury claim. Set up your free consultation with one of our car accident attorneys by calling us at 212-344-1000 or contact us online.



122 East 42nd Street Suite 3800
New York, NY 10168

Tel: 212-LAWYERS

Tel: 212-697-9280



8900 Sutphin Blvd Suite 501
Queens, NY 11435

Tel: (718) 399-3100

*By Appointment Only



220-226 E 161st Street
The Bronx, NY 10451

Tel: (212) 344-1000

*By Appointment Only



1002 Dean St
Brooklyn, NY 11238

Tel: (516) 410-4445

*By Appointment Only