Brain injuries can be life-changing and often result in significant physical, emotional, and financial damages. Unfortunately, in Brooklyn, brain injuries are all too common, and they can be caused by a wide range of accidents and incidents, including car accidents, falls, sports injuries, and more.
If you have suffered a brain injury in Brooklyn, it’s crucial to have a knowledgeable and experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyer on your side. The lawyers at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP (RMFW Law) have been helping clients with brain injuries for decades now. We are committed to helping victims, and their families get the compensation they deserve.
Traumatic Brain Injury – Facts and Statistics
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a leading cause of death and disability in the United States, with an average of 1.7 million emergency department visits, hospitalizations, or deaths yearly.
- An average of 157 people suffer from traumatic brain injuries (TBI) in New York State daily. The statistics are alarming, with over 2,200 TBI-related deaths, 17,000 hospitalizations, and nearly 38,000 emergency room visits every year among New York State residents. It’s a harsh reality that TBI can happen to anyone, anywhere, and at any time, and the effects can be life-altering.
- Falls are the leading cause of TBI in the United States, accounting for about 49.1% of all TBI-related emergency department visits, hospitalizations, and deaths.
Common Causes of Brain Injury
Brain injuries can happen for many different reasons, with the common ones being:
- Falls: As mentioned above, falls are the leading cause of brain injuries in NYC. It is particularly common among older adults and young children. Falls can occur at home, workplaces, stores, or public places.
- Motor vehicle accidents: Car, motorcycle, and pedestrian accidents are also common causes of brain injuries.
- Sports injuries: Athletes who participate in high-impact sports like football, soccer, and boxing are at an increased risk of head injury.
- Assaults: Intentional acts of violence like physical assaults, gunshot wounds, and domestic violence often cause brain injuries.
- Workplace accidents: Workers exposed to dangerous conditions or working with heavy machinery are at high risk of brain injury.
Brain Injury Symptoms
The symptoms of a brain injury can vary depending on the severity of the injury. Some common symptoms include:
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Confusion or disorientation
- Memory loss
- Difficulty concentrating
- Sensory problems, such as blurred vision or ringing in the ears
- Mood swings or changes in behavior
If you or a loved one has suffered a blow to the head or experienced any of the above symptoms, it’s essential to seek medical attention immediately. Plus, consult a qualified head injury attorney Brooklyn to determine whether you can file a claim to recover damages.
Brain Injury Types and Long-Term Effects
Brain injuries can range from mild to severe, and each type has different long-term effects on the victim’s physical and cognitive abilities.
Here are some of the most common types of brain injuries and their potential long-term effects:
1. Concussions: A concussion is a mild traumatic brain injury that occurs when the head receives a blow or jolt. Concussions can cause temporary symptoms like headaches, dizziness, and confusion. But they can also have long-term effects if left untreated.
Some of the potential long-term effects of concussions include:
- Chronic headaches
- Memory problems
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Sleep disturbances
2. Contusions: A contusion is a bruise on the brain that occurs when the head receives a blow or jolt. Contusions can present symptoms, such as headache, dizziness, and confusion, and they can also have long-term effects.
Some of the potential long-term effects of contusions include:
- Speech and language problems
- Memory loss
- Difficulty with movement and coordination
- Mood changes
3. Diffuse Axonal Injury: Diffuse axonal injury occurs when the brain moves, shifts, or rotates inside the skull, causing damage to the brain’s nerve fibers. The symptoms of diffuse axonal injury include coma, seizures, and changes in breathing.
Some of the potential long-term effects of diffuse axonal injury include:
- Cognitive impairment
- Behavioral changes
- Memory problems
- Sleep disturbances
4. Penetrating Brain Injury: A penetrating brain injury occurs when an object penetrates the skull and damages the brain. Penetrating brain injuries can cause symptoms such as paralysis, seizures, and changes in breathing.
The potential long-term effects of penetrating brain injury include:
- Cognitive impairment
- Memory problems
- Behavioral changes
- Emotional disturbances
These are just a few examples of the types of brain injuries and their potential long-term effects. It’s important to understand that every brain injury is unique, and the long-term results can vary from person to person.
If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury in Brooklyn due to someone else’s negligence, make sure to seek medical attention immediately. Also, speak with an experienced brain injury attorney Brooklyn who can help you understand your legal options and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Benefits of Hiring Brain Injury Attorney Brooklyn
Here are some of the benefits of hiring an injury lawyer Brooklyn:
- Knowledge of the Law: A Brooklyn head injury lawyer deeply understands the legal system and can help you navigate the complex laws surrounding brain injury cases. They can also help you understand your legal rights and options.
- Experience Handling Brain Injury Cases: Brain injury cases are complex and require specialized knowledge and experience. An experienced injury attorney knows how to investigate, build a strong case, negotiate with insurance companies, and advocate for you in court.
- Access to Medical Experts: A mild traumatic brain injury lawyer Brooklyn will have a network of medical experts who can assess and testify about your injuries. They can provide expert opinions that can strengthen your case and help you get the compensation you deserve.
- Fair Compensation: The right lawyer will help you recover fair compensation for your damages, such as hospitalization costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. They can also help you negotiate with insurance companies to ensure you receive a fair settlement.
How Will an Injury Lawyer Help Build a Strong Claim
To win a brain injury case in Brooklyn, your lawyer must prove that the accident was caused by the defendant’s negligence and that negligence led to your injuries. Proving a brain injury case can be challenging, and it requires the skill and expertise of an experienced Brooklyn brain injury attorney.
Here are some of the ways a lawyer may prove your case:
- Establishing Liability: Your lawyer will investigate the accident to find out who is responsible for your injuries. They will collect evidence, interview witnesses, and consult experts to prove the defendant was negligent.
- Duty of Care: “Duty of care” refers to the legal obligation that everyone has to act in a manner that does not cause harm to others. The defendant may have had a duty of care to act responsibly in order to prevent harm to others. For example, a driver has a duty of care to follow traffic laws and drive safely to avoid causing accidents.
- Breach of Duty: Once the duty of care has been established, the lawyer must prove that the defendant breached that duty. “Breach of duty” refers to failing to meet the legal obligation to act safely and responsibly. For instance, a driver texting while driving breaches their duty of care because they are not paying attention to the road and may cause an accident.
- Demonstrating Causation: Your lawyer must establish a direct link between the defendant’s negligence and your brain injury. They will use medical records, expert opinions, and other evidence to show that your brain injuries were caused by the defendant’s actions.
- Calculating Damages: Your lawyer will work with you and your medical providers to estimate your entire damages, such as medical costs, pain and suffering, lost wages, etc. They will also consider future damages, such as ongoing medical care and lost earning capacity.
- Presenting Evidence: Your lawyer will present the evidence they have collected in a persuasive and compelling manner. They will use exhibits, testimony, and other evidence to establish that the defendant was negligent and that you deserve compensation for your injuries.
A skilled and experienced head injury attorneys in Brooklyn will have the knowledge and resources to build a strong case on your behalf. They will fight tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve and help you to move forward.
If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury in Brooklyn, it is essential to take the following steps:
1. Seek Medical Attention: The first and most crucial step is to seek medical attention immediately. Brain injuries can be life-threatening, and delaying treatment can make them worse.
2. Report the Accident: If your brain injury was caused by an accident, report it to the appropriate authorities, such as the police or your employer.
3. Collect Evidence: If possible, collect evidence at the accident scene, such as photographs or witness statements. This evidence can be crucial in building a strong case.
4. Contact a Lawyer: Contact a lawyer in Brooklyn as soon as possible. They can help you understand your legal rights and options and guide you through the legal process.
You May Qualify for After Brain Injury in Brooklyn
If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury in Brooklyn, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. A skilled and experienced Brooklyn brain injury attorney can help you understand the types of compensation you may be eligible for and work to recover the maximum amount possible for you.
Here are some of the types of compensation you may qualify for after a brain injury:
- Medical Expenses – If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, including hospital bills, doctor visits, rehabilitation costs, and any other expenses related to your treatment.
- Lost Wages – If your brain injury has caused you to miss work or forced you to take a lower-paying job, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages. This can include past and future lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering – Brain injuries can cause significant physical pain and emotional pain. Plus, it can lead to a loss of enjoyment of life. You can claim compensation for these non-economic damages.
- Disability – If your brain injury has left you with a permanent disability, you may be entitled to compensation for your disability.
- Loss of Consortium – If your brain injury has affected your relationship with your spouse, you can claim compensation for loss of consortium.
- Punitive Damages – In cases where the respondent’s action was specifically horrendous, you may claim punitive damages, which are meant to punish the defendant. The idea is to deter similar conduct in the future.
At Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP, our team of experienced Brooklyn brain damage lawyers has a proven track record of success in getting maximum compensation for brain injury victims and their families. We will fight tirelessly to help you recover your deserved compensation.
How to Hire a Brooklyn Brain Injury Attorney
While having a brain injury attorney on your side is crucial, not all lawyers have the experience, skills, and qualifications to secure maximum compensation. Luckily, there are also many experienced and reliable injury lawyers out there.
All you need is some knowledge and research to find a trusted attorney specializing in brain injury cases. Here are some steps to follow when hiring an lawyer:
- Research – Start by researching and compiling a list of potential injury lawyers in Brooklyn. You can do this by asking for recommendations from friends and family, searching online, or contacting local bar associations for referrals.
- Check Credentials – Once you have a list of potential lawyers, check their credentials to ensure they have the qualifications and experience needed to handle your case. Look for a lawyer specializing in brain injury cases and with a track record of successfully handling such cases.
- Schedule Consultations – Schedule consultations with each of the lawyers on your list to discuss your case and determine if they are a good fit for you. During the consultation, ask about their experience, approach to handling brain injury cases, and fees.
- Consider Communication – Communication is vital when working with a Brooklyn injury lawyer. Consider the lawyer’s communication skills during the consultation and how responsive they are to your inquiries. You want a lawyer who will keep you informed and involved throughout the legal process.
- Fee Structure – Brain injury cases can be complex and time-consuming, and fees can vary from lawyer to lawyer. Consider the fee structure and whether the Brooklyn injury lawyer works on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case.
- Make a Decision – Once you have completed your research, met with the lawyers, and considered all the factors, it’s time to make a decision. Choose the experienced lawyer in Brooklyn you believe is best for your case and who you feel most comfortable working with.
Remember, hiring the right Brooklyn accident injury lawyer can significantly increase the chances of success in your case. A skilled and experienced lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, understand your legal options, represent you in court, and recover maximum compensation.
At Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP, our team of experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyers has decades of experience handling brain injury cases. Our lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for hundreds of brain injury victims.
We offer free consultations, and our lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means you only pay if we win your case. If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury in Brooklyn, contact us today to schedule a consultation with a skilled and experienced lawyer and learn more about how we can help.
Consult the Best Brain Injury Attorney in Brooklyn
At Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP, we are committed to helping brain injury victims and their families get the justice they deserve. Our team of experienced injury lawyers has a proven track record of success in handling brain injury cases, and we are dedicated to fighting for our clients’ rights.
When you choose us as your injury lawyer Brooklyn, you can expect the following:
- Personal Attention – We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll a brain injury can take on a victim and their family. As such, we provide personalized attention to every client and will work closely with you throughout the legal process.
- Experience – Our team of lawyers has decades of experience handling brain injury cases. We have a deep understanding of the legal and medical issues involved in these cases, and we use this knowledge to build strong cases for our clients.
- Resources – Brain injury cases can be complex and require significant resources to investigate and build a strong case. At RMFW Law, we have the resources necessary to take on even the most challenging brain injury cases.
- Contingency Fee – We understand that brain injury cases can be expensive, so we work on a contingency fee basis. This means that you only pay us if we win your case.
If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury in Brooklyn, contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We will review your case, answer your questions, and help you understand your legal options.
Let us put our experience, resources, and dedication to work for you.
Call us now at 212-LAWYERS or 212-344-1000.