The attorney representing the hospital argued that because Sonia’s examination and vital signs were normal, her fainting episode was a random and unforeseeable result of vasovagal syncope – a condition where your body reacts to certain triggers (such as the sight of blood) and causes you to faint.
While the jury agreed that the hospital was not negligent in allowing Sonia to walk, they determined that the hospital was negligent in leaving her standing up unattended after she complained of being dizzy. Ultimately, Sonia was awarded a total of $1.2 million, including $600,000 in damages for past pain and suffering and $100,000 for future pain and suffering.
Doctor errors are a type of medical malpractice that causes you to suffer from an injury caused by your doctor. This injury is preventable and would not have occurred had your doctor not been negligent.
Some doctor errors are more common than others, but the following are most heavily featured in medical malpractice lawsuits:
- Uncoordinated care which leads to mistakes and injury
- Your condition is misdiagnosed
- The warning signs associated with your condition are missed or ignored
- Unnecessary tests and procedures are conducted
- Unnecessary treatment is provided
- The medical devices used are outdated or are malfunctioning
- Poor infection control gives you a hospital-based infection
- You are prescribed the wrong medication (or the right medication but at the incorrect dose)
- You are prematurely discharged which causes an injury
If you live in NYC and wish to file a medical malpractice lawsuit, you should begin the process as quickly as possible and by consulting with a qualified NYC medical malpractice lawyer who can guide you on what you can expect from the process and what steps you will need to follow.
There are certain laws and statutes of limitations that each state needs to adhere to, and your NYC medical malpractice attorney will know what these are and how to ensure that you have the best possible chance of winning your lawsuit.
If you think that you, or even one of your family members, may have been a victim of a doctor error, please contact the medical malpractice lawyers of Rosenburg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff LLP in NYC.
Call (212) 697-9280 and speak to one of our medical malpractice attorneys for a free, confidential consultation today.