Clients are never charged for anything unless we win their case!
NEW YORK CITY TRIP AND FALL ATTORNEY
Trip and fall accidents can lead to serious, even catastrophic injuries. If a trip and fall is caused by the negligence of the property owner, you may have a claim for compensation. If you or a loved one were injured after a trip and fall accident, contact our attorneys today for a free consultation.
Compensation After a Trip and Fall
After a trip and fall accident on someone else’s property, you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries. Although they both fall under the category of premises liability, trip and fall claims may be less challenging to prove than slip and fall claims, as the causes tend to be more permanent in nature. For example, uneven slabs of concrete in a sidewalk that cause a person to trip and fall are certainly more permanent compared to a spill on the floor of a grocery store that causes a slip and fall accident.
Our premises liability attorneys at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP in New York City have a successful track record recovering settlements and awards for our clients. Schedule a consultation to find out if you have a case and what damages you may be eligible to claim.
Common Causes of Trip and Fall Accidents
The Health and Safety Authority has listed factors that contribute to trip and fall accidents on the same level in the workplace. These include:
- Stairs and steps: These are commonly associated with trip and falls. Descending steps and stairs can be particularly hazardous and often results in more serious injuries.
- Exiting vehicles: This includes trucks, vans, and trailers.
- Debris and obstructions in walkways: Debris can create tripping hazards.
- Uneven surfaces: Any uneven surface on which the foot can catch can cause trip and falls.
- Entrances and exits: Often implicated in trip and falls, entrances and exits may have steps, flooring, or mats that can cause trip and fall accidents.
Common Injuries in Trip and Fall Accidents
Trip and fall accidents can cause very serious injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- One out of five falls causes a serious injury, such as head injury or broken bones.
- More than 800,000 patients are hospitalized every year because of fall injuries.
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Every year, 3 million older adults are treated in emergency rooms for fall injuries.
Trip and fall accidents can cause a range of injuries, including:
- Strains and sprains
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
Who Can Be Held Liable for Trip and Fall Injuries in New York?
Under state law, the owner of a property generally has a duty to maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition. In some cases, this responsibility may be transferred to a tenant. The responsible party has an obligation to repair any tripping hazards within a reasonable amount of time. If hazardous conditions exist, a business must place clear warning signs in the area of the hazard. Property owners are generally responsible for maintaining public sidewalks adjacent to their property.
Unsafe conditions can result from lack of maintenance or lack of warning to visitors. Property owners who are negligent in their duty to maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition may be held liable for trip and fall injuries that occur as a result.
Trip and fall accidents often require a skilled, experienced lawyer to ensure you receive maximum compensation for your injuries. Our personal injury lawyers at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP in New York City have a 95% success rate for our clients, with the knowledge and experience necessary to provide valuable legal counsel. Contact us today for a free consultation and explore your options for recovery.