A New York woman went into Crouse Hospital for a cesarean-section. She only expected to deliver a baby. Instead, she was left with a third-degree burn. Now the woman has filed a medical malpractice lawsuit against her doctor and Crouse Hospital for the surgical error.
The incident occurred in 2010. As the woman was lying on an operating room table she began to smell something burning. Her doctor quickly realized that she was on fire. Although the doctor was able to put the fire out with his hand, she suffered a third-degree burn on her side that is 7 inches long and 5 inches wide.
The woman's baby was unharmed. However, the area where she was burned required plastic surgery. She says it still feels numb and sometimes feels like it is going to tear open.
The woman believes that doctors and nurses at the hospital failed to take precautions after using an alcohol-based antiseptic on her skin before the surgery. Just a month before the surgery, 3M Company, the maker of the antiseptic, warned hospitals that the solution is flammable but gave instructions on how to prevent surgical fires from occurring.
In many cases, fires can be prevented if the solution is allowed to dry. The solution can start on fire if it soaks into a hospital gown or surgery drapes or if the solution pools somewhere on the patient.
At the time of the fire, the woman's doctor was using an electrical cautery tool. A spark from the tool may have started the fire.
Surgical fires are rare. Of the 50 million surgeries that are performed each year in the United States, only 400 and 600 surgical fires are reported.
According to one source, officials at Crouse Hospital have apologized to the woman. However, her doctor has not yet offered an apology.
Source: The Post-Standard, "Woman's abdomen catches fire during C-section, as surgical tool ignites antiseptic," John O'Brien, April1, 2012
|$15 Million - Jury Award Against Hospital|
|$10.5 Million - Malpractice Infant Brain Damage|
|$9 Million - Brain Injured Baby Settlement|
|$7.75 Million - Pediatric Intensive Care Unit|
|$7.5 Million - Injured Construction Worker Settlement|
|$7.25 Million - Intersection Accident Settlement NYC|
|$5.5 Million - Bus Accident Award|
|$5.5 Million - Injured Child|
|$5.5 Million - Blinded Woman|
|$5.45 Million - Injured Child|
|$5.4 Million - Construction Burn Victim|
|$5.1 Million - Motorcycle Victim|
|$5 Million - Eye Surgery|
|$4.5 Million - Failure to Perform C-Section|
|$4.5 Million - Personal Injury Settlement|
|$4.4 Million - Failure to Diagnose Infection|
|$4.125 Million - Failure to Diagnose Quadriplegia|
|$4.0 Million - NYC Hospital Negligence Birth Injury|
|$3.8 Million - Electrician|
|$3.75 Million - Hospital Negligence Sepsis|
|$3.7 Million - Birth Injury Infant Stroke|
|$3.5 Million - Faulty Freight Elevator Fall|
|$3.4 Million - Surgical Error Bronxville Hospital|
|$3.28 Million - Eye Surgery Case|
|$3.15 Million - Settlement for a Brooklyn Laborer|
|$3.1 Million - Verdict Returned by NY Jury|
|$3.1 Million - Awarded by Brooklyn Jurors|
|$3 Million - Birth Injury Development Delays|
|$3 Million - Settlement Scaffold Injury Hudson Yard|
|$3 Million - Hot Water Burn Death|
|$2.6 Million - Surgical Error Premature Death|
|$2.5 Million - Hospital Malpractice Toddler Hemiplegia|
|$2.4 Million - Failure to Diagnose Lead to Paralysis|
|$2.3 Million - Birth Injury Brain Damage|
|$2.1 Million - Hospital Negligence Birth Injury|
|$2.1 Million - Failure to Diagnose Stroke|
|$2.1 Million - Surgical Error Paraplegic|
|$2.1 Million - Injured Worker|
|$2 Million - Hospital Negligence Permanent Injury|
|$2 Million - Malpractice Settlement Delay in Delivery|
|$2 Million - Verdict against Hospital|
|$1.8 Million - Failure to Diagnose Tumor|
|$1.75 Million - Diagnosing Prostate Cancer|
|$1.5 Million - Prostate Procedure Malpractice|
|$1.5 Million - Delay in Treatment - Nerve Damage|
|$1.4 Million dollar settlement in Action Over Explosion|
|$1.26 Million - Disabled Vehicle's Driver Hit|
|$1.15 Million To Slip-and-Fall Victim awarded by Jury|